Common Issues and Solutions
VerticalMouse 4 Wireless does not work
1. Put in a fresh battery with the positive terminal facing out.
2. Push the power switch on the bottom of the mouse to the green position.
3. Pull out the receiver and push it back in a USB port to see if Windows makes the disconnect and reconnect sounds. Ensure that speakers are connected and the volume is turned on.
BLUETOOTH VerticalMouse 4 Bluetooth/Mac disconnecting and reconnecting
VM4 has only one battery for light weight. To save power, early Bluetooth/Mac production units are designed to enter sleep mode and disconnect from the computer in 8 minutes. The Mac OS displays “Connection Lost” when the mouse goes to sleep. Moving the mouse reestablishes connection automatically in a few seconds and the Mac OS displays “Connected”. Later production units do not disconnect as long as the system is on.
VerticalMouse 4 Bluetooth/Mac tracking sluggish
Reset the mouse by turning the On/Off switch off and on to restore proper tracking.
Pointer difficult to control or requires too much arm movement
1. Go to Control Panel, Mouse, and set the pointer speed slider to the middle.
2. Check the box for Enhance Pointer Precision.
3. On VerticalMouse 4, press the Pointer Speed button on the side to light up three indicators lights to the MD setting.
4. On VerticalMouse 3 rev 2, press the button on the bottom of the mouse until the light is blue.
Pointer moving by itself
A reflective surface may cause pointer drift. Put the VerticalMouse on a non reflective mouse pad, such as a fabric pad.
Panning in CAD programs (middle click)
CAD programs typically use a middle click for panning.
1. When the Evoluent driver is not installed, the wheel button is the middle button. Press the wheel to perform a middle click.
2. When the Evoluent driver is installed, select the “Wheel/Middle Click” function for any button to make it work as a middle click. Do not select Auto Pan or Zoom.
3. In AutoCAD, the wheel/middle button is configurable at the command prompt.Type mbuttonpan and set to 1 to enable panning. If set to 0, a pop up menu appears when pressing the wheel button.
Customizing Pro E for panning with middle click
In the current Evoluent driver,Customizing Programming for Different Applications, look for xtop.exe in the Pro E folder in Program Files. In Pro E Wildfire 2.0, this is the default path:
C:\Program Files\proeWildfire 2.0\i486_nt\obj\xtop.exe
Any button can be disabled by installing the driver and selecting the None function at the top of the pull down menu.
Pointer jumping to screen edge
The mouse is probably on a reflective surface. Put it on a completely non-reflective surface, such as a cotton mouse pad.
Pointer sluggish or moving randomly in response to mouse movement
The mouse is probably on a reflective surface. Put it on a completely non-reflective surface, such as a cotton mouse pad. If the mouse tracks properly on white printer paper, it is working properly. The mouse surface must be completely flat for proper tracking.
Acceleration/precision/pointer speed/pointer control
When the driver is not installed, go to Control Panel, Mouse, Pointer Options, and check the box for Enhance Pointer Precision (Windows XP). The current driver includes built-in control of pointer precision/acceleration.
Using right and left VerticalMouses at the same time
Both mouses must be in USB ports.
1. Connect the first VerticalMouse to a USB port.
2. Install the driver update.
3. Connect the second VerticalMouse to another USB port.
4. Install the driver update again. When the installation wizard asks if you wish to install again, click Yes.
Not passing Windows testing
When warning messages about the driver not passing Windows testing appear during installation, click Continue Anyway. The driver works perfectly in the vast majority of Windows systems. For maximum safety, cancel the installation, go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore, set a restore point, and install the driver. If any problem occurs after the installation, the system can be restored to the point prior to the installation by using System Restore.
Install asking for Windows CD
Some systems preinstalled with Windows store the Windows CD files on the hard disk. A possible path is C:\i386 or D:\i386. If you are unable to see the folder because it is a hidden folder, type in the path.